Lots of writers, authors and freelancers are told they should have a blog. And many ask: do I need a blog to sell my books? The short answer is yes. Today blogging is an important part of having an online platform – especially for writers.
The main reason for having a blog is because you need to have a home base where you can be found online, where you can share your services and knowledge and show off your writing skills.
I now have two blogs and although it can be hard work keeping up with both I know I need to have the two separate as my fiction and nonfiction readers are very different.
- Blogging can be a great way of connecting with new potential readers in your niche.
- It’s easy and fun to do. Setting up a blog can usually be done within a couple of hours.
- It’s a good way of getting the word out about your new book or product.
- It helps you become a better writer. By challenging yourself to write a post every week it can vastly improve your writer skills. The more you write the better you become at it.
- It can help you get published. If you’re still looking for a publisher for your book a blog can be a great way of getting yourself noticed and for building up your readership.
- It can make you more disciplined. Sitting down to write every day can be hard to do, you have to be disciplined to sit your butt in the chair and put words on the page or computer screen, but by knowing you have to write something every week or do will get you into the routine of writing regularly.
What were your reasons for starting a blog?
Want more resources?