As a writer it’s easy to become disillusioned by the whole process. Writing can be a lonely profession because it’s usually you on your own throughout the process. It takes courage to sit down and write every day and many writers find this very hard to do. I often find it hard to start writing my own projects again if I haven’t written anything on them for a while.
Self-doubt and criticism are a writer’s worst enemy and can often stop them getting anything done.
Here are 5 ways to find your passion for writing again:
- Remember what made you fall in love with writing in the first place. When I’m feeling blocked or like my writing is complete rubbish, I try to remember why fell in love with writing the first place. What made you fall in love with writing in the first place? What inspired you to write? Have a think about that, you’ll be surprised what you can do for you.
- Try to write every day. By writing something every day – no matter what it is – by writing anything it can be a great way of getting you into the flow things again.
- Try writing something completely different. If you’re feeling Stark, try writing something completely different from what you normally write. Maybe even try writing a different genre. What you write novels, try writing a short story or vice versa. Trying something new can really help reignite your creativity.
- Step away from your current project. Try stepping away from whatever your current writing projects, take a step back and take a break from it. By doing this and going back to it at a later date it will often inspire you to start writing again.
- Trust the process. All the techniques in the world won’t help unless you learn to trust your writing process. Be kind to yourself and trust the process instead of being critical and questioning everything you write. Don’t let doubt getting away and kill your creativity.
What tips you have for reigniting your love for writing? Or have you fallen out of love with writing recently?